The black and white lighthouse on the north pier of the channel to Presque Isle Bay has guided mariners since 1858. Its cast iron was forged in France and replaced a wooden beacon that was destroyed by a schooner in a 1857 storm. No other surviving U.S. lighthouse shares its design.
A fixed red beam was used until 1995 when the 4th order Fresnel Lens was removed and a red flashing light was installed by the United States Coast Guard which still operates the beacon.
Keepers of the Pierhead Light:
William T. Downs, Benjamin Fleming, John Hess, Leonard Vaughan, George W. Bone, Richard P. Burke, Frank Henry, James Johnson, C.E. McDannell, Charles D. Coyle, Robert Hunter, & Thomas Wilkins