Near this site soon after Threat of Cusseta 1832, Peter A. Hogg built a grist mill on Wehadkee Creek, named for local Indian tribe. Settlement first called Prothro's Mill for James Prothro, who, with John McPherson, obtained a U.S. land patent in 1837, built a sawmill and blacksmith shop. Before 1860 the name was changed to Rock Mills when a cotton factory was established. Over the years this factory has been listed as Rock Mills Mfg. Co., Wehadkee Manufacturing Co., Rosedale Mfg. Co., Wehadkee Cotton Mills, becoming March 28, 1905, Wehadkee Yarn Mills. Present structure built 1881, produces 100 per cent cotton yarn. Company offices located in West Point, Ga.