—A City of Milton Historic Site —This structure served the Birmingham community as one of seven militia district courthouses in Milton County. Rolls were maintained of eligible males between the ages of 15 and 50 who could be called up in times of emergency. The Courthouse also served as the local polling place. Trials were held here monthly before a Justice of the Peace and jury. Trials continued until 1932 when Milton merged with Fulton County. John L. Nix was the last Justice of the Peace, serving the court into the 1950s. Voting continued here into the 1960s.
|Placed By||The City of Milton, Georgia|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, June 3rd, 2018 at 4:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 747140 N 3783631|
|Decimal Degrees||34.16438333, -84.31900000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 9.863', W 84° 19.14'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 9' 51.78" N, 84° 19' 8.4" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||404, 678, 770|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1425-1445 Birmingham Rd, Milton GA 30004, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.