"One of the fine new buildings in Boise," heralded the Idaho Statesman newspaper in 1935, when the Belaustegui Hotel & Basque Boarding House was constructed by Augustin and Petra Belaustegui. A few years later, part of the hotel became "The Chico Club," which, according to the lease, was for "social and recreational affairs, and not for any other purpose." The membership fee was $1, followed by annual dues of $1. The club became an important gathering place for both Basque and non-Basque members, men and women alike. Upon opening, the newspaper reported that the building's owner, Mrs. Patxa Belaustegui, and the club's managers, her son and daughter Petra and Angel Belaustegui, "entertained a group of 35 guests" and in fine Basque tradition, provided a meal featuring "barbecued lamb," and of course, included dancing. It is appropriate that the Chico Club building heralds entry to the Basque Block from downtown Boise - echoing a sense of community that has existed on this street for generations.