176 S. Capitol Blvd.The thread of several cultures, wrapped around a mystery, winds its way through this site. Originally, a log cabin stood here, occupied in the early 1860s by a Boise sheriff. Later, a house was built on the site and deeded by the mayor to Dr. Pefferle, one of the city's first dentists. In succeeding times, the house was the residence of Idaho's chief justice; a boarding house for Basque sheepherders; and in one cryptic period near the turn of the century, rumored to be the center of Boise's red-light district. In 1939, the home, which had expanded greatly through the years, was torn down to make way for a service station. The wrecking crew was startled to find a log cabin-—the original 75-year-old structure-—standing intact within the rambling house. Call it a case of, literally, unraveling a mystery!
|Placed By||Basque Museum and Cultural Center|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 23rd, 2018 at 10:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11T E 564331 N 4829344|
|Decimal Degrees||43.61430000, -116.20275000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 36.858', W 116° 12.165'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 36' 51.48" N, 116° 12' 9.8999999999999" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 176 S Capitol Blvd, Boise ID 83702, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.