(1861-1865)Fairfield County quickly mobilized after the attack on Ft. Sumter, South Carolina on April 12, 1861 and the beginning of the Civil War. Parts of the county fairgrounds became Camp Anderson, in honor of Major Robert Anderson who commanded Fort Sumter during the attack. Enlisted men were trained there before being sent to war. Meanwhile the existing militia company—the Lancaster Guards—plus new volunteers reported for duty at the Ohio Statehouse. They had the honor of being designated Company A for the 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The 1st OVI became the Capital Guard in Washington DC.
|Placed By||Ciwil War 150 Alliance—Fairfield County, the Fairfield County Agricultural Society, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 30th, 2018 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 363035 N 4398417|
|Decimal Degrees||39.72465000, -82.59811667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 43.479', W 82° 35.887'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 43' 28.74" N, 82° 35' 53.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||614, 740|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 159 E Fair Ave, Lancaster OH 43130, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.