Wyandot County's third and current courthouse was
constructed from 1899-1900. Designed by the firm of
Yost & Packard, the architects of courthouses in Wood,
Harrison, and other counties, the building is a wonderful
example of Beaux-Arts Classicism. The third floor
courtroom was featured in the 1994 motion picture "The
Shawshank Redemption," based on a Stephen King novella.
Director-screenwriter Frank Darabont chose the courtroom for the
opening scenes of the movie, which features Academy Award-winning
actors Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Many courtroom "extras"
were Wyandot County residents. A time capsule inside Lady Justice,
atop the dome, contains a copy of the movie, commemorating
'Shawshank' enthusiasts who supported the statue's 2009 restoration.
A restoration of the building was completed in 2015. The courthouse
and adjacent jail were listed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 1973.