701 59th Avenue
—Historic Site, Erected 1946 —The World War II Monument was erected to honor the citizens of Fairmount Heights who served in the armed forces during World War II. In the early years of the Fairmount Heights community, this small park was the property of the Reverend Joshua Barnes. The earliest Methodist worship services were held in his house on this site before construction of the Fairmount Heights Episcopal Church in 1911. The monument, together with the curved wall and grass park area, serves as an entryway into the town from Eastern Avenue. The monument stands in a triangular lot with benches and shrubs fronted by a curved section of brick wall. It was documented that on the south side plate was inscribed "in honor of the men who served in World War II/Erected in November 1946 by the Monument Committee." The monument and the park were restored in 2012 and both are now protected by an established easement held by the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, July 6th, 2018 at 7:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 333864 N 4307326|
|Decimal Degrees||38.89911667, -76.91581667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 53.947', W 76° 54.949'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 53' 56.82" N, 76° 54' 56.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 301|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 700 59th Pl, Fairmount Heights MD 20743, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.