Livingston Skinner (1795-1874) came to this part of Texas from Georgia in the early 1840s with his wife, Hedidah "Jodie" (Hughes) (1806-1881), and their children. The Iron Bluff Cemetery began as a family cemetery at the northwest corner of their property. The first marked burial in the graveyard dates to 1853 and is that of the Skinners' daughter E.F. (Emily). They buried her sister N.E.A. (Amanda) here the following year. Other family members interred here include son William Moses Skinner (1832-1907), a Confederate veteran, and daughter Sarah Ann and her husband Joseph D. Lilly (1816-1860), who was a Texas Ranger as well as the first sheriff of Titus County.
Residents of Lone Star began using the burial ground, which once was also the site of the Iron Bluff Schoolhouse. Among those buried here are numerous veterans of the Civil War, and landowner Livingston Skinner, a veteran of the War of 1812 and the Creek Indian Wars of 1813-14, as well as veterans of World War II, the Korean Conflict and Vietnam. Iron Bluff Cemetery serves as an important link to these veterans and to generations of other area residents who played important roles in the area's history.
Historic Texas Cemetery