(Anderson Field side):This airfield, the first in Colleton County, was built and dedicated in 1933 on 60 acres leased to the town of Walterboro by the estate of C.C. Anderson, foe whom it was named. By 1937 the town purchased the field and its 3 unpaved landing strips. Local, state, and federal sources combined to fund a large hanger and paved runways by 1941. The U.S. Army Air Corps leased the field from the town in early 1942 and purchased an additional 3,712 acres to create a new Walterboro Army Airfield.
(Walterboro Army Air Field side): The Walterboro Army Air Field, opened in August 1942, was a sub-base of the Columbia Army Air Base and the largest sub-base in the 3rd Air Force. It served as a final training base for pilots prior to overseas duty and housed a military population of as many as 6,000 as well as hundreds of German POWs. When the base closed after the war the field was deeded back to Walterboro and Colleton County.