In 1799 the first public school in Alabama was built just north of this site at Boatyard Lake in the Tensaw Community. More than 90 small schools dotted Baldwin County in the early twentieth century This one room school was built in 1920 by African American families in Bromley, and served grades 1-9. It was moved to White House Fork in 1970, and used as a kindergarten room until 1990. It has been preserved here under the leadership of Sam Watson and Leslie Smith as a tribute. to community education In Baldwin County. It is dedicated to Mrs. Rebecca Tompkins, principal and teacher of the Blakeley Little Red Schoolhouse.
The Baldwin County Board of Education petitioned the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission on March 20, 2008, for Historic Site Designation, pursuant to the authority conveyed by Act No. 80-497, as amended by Act No. 89-960, and during their May 13, 2008 regular meeting, the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission approved the designation of the Little Red Schoolhouse as a Historic Site in Baldwin County, Alabama.