Pioneering Economic Development
—Gardner Mill and Bingham Railroad 1915 —Early settlement centered around the West Jordan Mill built by Archibald and Robert Gardner. They established a saw mill in 1850 and a grist mill in 1854 near the Jordan River at 7800 South. A bridge over the Jordan River was built in 1852-1854. Soon other industrial businesses followed: a woolen mill, a tannery, a broom factory, brick making, a mattress factory and silk industry (supported by mulberry trees planted on the present site of the City cemetery in 1877). Mining in the Oquirrh Mountains led to the establishment of the Midvale Smelter in 1868 and the extension of Rio Grande Railroad between the mine and the smelter. The 7800 South "Bingham Highway" became the main travel corridor between Bingham Canyon and Bingham Junction (Midvale). This area flourished as a community center with a school (1852), the Old Rock Meeting House (1861-1867), post office and Haun's store.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 22nd, 2018 at 2:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12T E 421797 N 4495784|
|Decimal Degrees||40.60918333, -111.92441667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 36.551', W 111° 55.465'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 36' 33.06" N, 111° 55' 27.9" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1126 7800 S, West Jordan UT 84088, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.