(¼ Mi. W)The village of Quinan was established about 1872 on the Wharton-Richmond road. It was named for Judge George E. Quinan (1819-1893), who lived south of here on Peach Creek. A native of Ireland, Quinan served in the Texas Senate and on the state Court of Civil Appeals. He was one of the founders of the State Bar of Texas. The community named for him had a school, Methodist church, and a post office located in John C. Habermacher's store. The Quinan community declined after the founding of Hungerford in 1882. The post office and businesses were relocated here later.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 14th, 2018 at 2:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 783669 N 3255733|
|Decimal Degrees||29.39888333, -96.07695000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 23.933', W 96° 4.617'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 23' 55.98" N, 96° 4' 37.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 214 E Railroad St, East Bernard TX 77435, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.