(3.5 Mi. NW)In the summer of 1837 Post West Bernard Station was established as an ordnance depot of the army of The Republic of Texas. Its location on the West Bernard River was strategic in protecting Houston, then capital of Texas, from possible invasion by Mexico. Cannons, rifles, muskets, powder, and shot were stored at the station. Troops under Lt. H. L. Grush and later Capt. Martin K. Snell maintained the post despite harsh living conditions. In 1838-39 this station transferred its inventory of ordnance to the newly completed Houston Arsenal.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 14th, 2018 at 2:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 783669 N 3255733|
|Decimal Degrees||29.39888333, -96.07695000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 23.933', W 96° 4.617'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 23' 55.98" N, 96° 4' 37.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 214 E Railroad St, East Bernard TX 77435, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.