The Oregon Electric Railway was completed during the first decade of the 1900s, coming initially from Portland to Wilsonville, then on to Salem and Eugene after construction of a mile-long trestle across the Willamette River was completed in 1907.
With the coming of the railroad trestle, prospering riverbank establishments moved north along Boones Ferry Road to be near the train depot, creating a new town center.
The laying of the railroad tracks and trestle slowly put an end to the riverboat business and the 38 steamboat landings in the eight-mile stretch between Canby Ferry and the old wheat port of Butteville. Up until that time most everything was transported along the river on steamboats.
There were 16 trains a day between Portland and Eugene, eight going north and eight southbound. Fastest of the trains - the "Capitol City Flyer" - left Portland at 9:15 a.m. daily and arrived in Salem at 10:50 a.m.
Many Wilsonville students rode the Oregon Electric into Portland to attend high school. The rail cars carried people and products to Portland in about 45 minutes.,br>
By 1926, the volume of auto traffic cut so deeply into Oregon Electric passenger train revenue that the railroad discontinued passenger service. The ferryboat, however, still proved convenient for
farmer and traveler and continued to operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, averaging 80-90 trips every eight hours.
The train depot was eventually converted into an agricultural supply store and the building was finally torn down in the late 1950s.