History of New Pier One
New Pier 1 was designed by General George B. Mc Clellan (of Civil War Fame), first Engineer-in-Chief of the Department of Docks. It was constructed between 1872 and 1877 as part of a larger maritime complex that included a wharf and boat landing.
The pier was later leased to the Iron Steam-Boat Company, which ran ferries to Coney Island beginning in 1881. The Steam-Boat Company erected a two-story pier building to house a restaurant, a saloon, and a dance hall. By 1897, New Pier 1 was turned over to freight use, and in 1972, it was demolished to make way for Battery Park City.
The white granite inlay in the pavement of this plaza indicates the approximate location of New Pier 1 and the shorelines circa 1877 and 1886. This map shows New Pier 1 of the far left circa 1879. The water around these piers was infilled in the early 1970s to create Battery Park City, so the former site of New Pier 1 is now largely within the footprint of Robert F. Wagner Park.