In Aug. 1862, during the Civil War, Union Maj. Gen. John Pope established a signal station on Mount Pony, just northeast of here. On the summit of the mountain, a high scaffold was constructed out of trees for an observation post and a communication center. Because of the good visibility, "powerful glasses" were used to watch troop movements from this vantage point. Both the Federal and Confederate Signal Corps used this site during the war. Other signal stations were built by the Union army on Stony Mountain, Cedar Mountain, Thoroughfare Mountain, and Clark's Mountain.