After the Texas Revolution, Robertson County covered a vast area of 12.8 million acres from the Brazos River eastward to the Trinity River and northwest to the Cross Timbers. Situated at the southern edge of Robertson County, Franklin (later Old Franklin) served as the county seat of justice beginning in the 1830s. Due to loss or lack of record keeping, the plat of Old Franklin does not exist. The town had its share of businesses,
however, including a livery stable, blacksmith, general store, saloons, and the first school in Robertson County.
Old Franklin also boasted several prominent residents. The first medical doctor of the town, George Washington Hill, served as a congressman for the Republic of Texas and Secretary of War for Sam Houston. Through a recommendation from his friend Hill, James Raymond of Old Franklin became Journal Clerk of the Republic House of Representatives and later Treasurer of the Republic and then State of Texas. A well-known statesman, lawyer and politician of the time, Robert McAlpin Williamson ("Three-legged Willie") presided over the first session of Robertson County's district level court in Old Franklin during the month of October 1838.
When the county seat moved to nearby Morgan in 1879, residents ran into an issue while applying for a post office because a Morgan, Texas, already
existed. Essentially a ghost town by this time, Franklin was renamed Old Franklin, and the town of Morgan became what is present-day Franklin. For almost a decade Old Franklin served as a major gateway to the area, providing settlers a stop for news, supplies and protection during their travels.