La tour - La "light" / The tower - The light

La tour - La "light" / The tower - The light (HM2E9V)

Location: Gaspé, Québec G4X 6G7 La Côte-de-Gaspé
Country: Canada
Buy Canada flags at Flagstore.com!

N 48° 51.367', W 64° 12.1'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 197 views
Inscription
 
La tour
Vers le milieu du 19e siècle, on érigea dix phares majeurs dans le secteur des Grands Lacs et du nord du golfe Saint-Laurent, tous selon des méthodes de construction assez similaires. Ces phares furent nommés « tours impériales ». Cap-des-Rosiers fut la quatrième d'entre elles à être édifiées. Cette tour monumentale, la plus haute ayant été construite au pays, constitue le premier phare de la Gaspésie.
Le responsable de la conception et de la réalisation du phare fut monsieur John Page, Chef ingénieur des Travaux publics. Les travaux de construction furent par ailleurs confiés à l'entrepreneur Charles-François-Xavier Baby. Ils débutèrent à l'été 1854 et furent achevés ou presque en 1856. Fait intéressant à souligner, le ravitaillement en matériaux, hommes et chevaux se fit entièrement par bateau étant donné l'absence de routes facilement praticables. D'autre part, il semble que l'on procéda en 1857 à l'installation de la lanterne et des appareils d'optique et d'éclairage. Le phare fut quant à lui officiellement allumé pour la première fois le 15 mars 1858 et projetait alors sur la mer un des rayons de lumière



les plus puissants de la colonie.
Les coûts relatifs à l'ensemble de cette opération (études, matériaux, transport, main-d'oeuvre, appareillage, provisions, etc.) s'élèvent à près de 115 000 $.
La "light"
Avant 1800, les phares consistaient généralement en des feux de bois ou de charbon que l'on montait sur des caps. Par conséquent, ils étaient inefficaces par temps de pluie ou de brume. Il devint donc impératif de procéder au perfectionnement des systèmes utilisés. Le phare de Cap-des-Rosiers pu bénéficier de l'avancement de la recherche menée en Europe à l'époque, tant au niveau de l'appareillage optique qu'à celui des systèmes d'éclairage.
On y introduisit donc une grosse lentille française en verre poli, permettant la réfraction de la lumière (système dioptrique). C'est la firme de Lepaute et Sautter, à Paris, qui manufactura la lentille et la coupole de fer coulé. La lumière quant à elle provenait très probablement de plusieurs petits brûleurs à mèche placés au centre de la lentille, basés sur le principe de la lampe d'Argand, lampe mise au point en 1780 par Aimé Argand. Ces brûleurs, alimentés à l'huile de baleine ou à l'huile de marsouin, étaient installés dans une direction bien déterminée et ne nécessitaient plus d'ajustement une fois l'enchâssement réalisé dans leur monture.
Au début du 20e siècle, la lampe Argand fut remplacée par une lampe à vapeur de pétrole qui fut utilisée plusieurs années après l'électrification des foyers du village vers 1950. Aujourd'hui, la source lumineuse est électrique, mais l'appareil optique original est toujours en usage.

The tower
Towards the middle of the 19th century, ten major lighthouses were built in the area of the Great Lakes and the northern Gulf of St. Lawrence, all in a fairly similar style. Those lighthouses were called "imperial towers". Cap-des-Rosiers was the fourth one built. This monumental tower, the tallest ever built in Canada, was the first lighthouse in the Gaspé.
The person in charge of designing and installing the lighthouse was Mr. John Page, Public Works Chief Engineer. The construction contract was awarded to the businessman Charles-Françoise-Xavier Baby. The work began in the summer of 1854, and ended, or almost, in 1856. It is interesting to note that supplies (materials, men, and horses) came exclusively by boat, since there were no easily praticable [? - navigable?] roads. For the rest, [i]t seems that it was in 1857 that the lamp and the optical and lighting devices were installed. The beacon itself was officially lit for the first time on March 15, 1858, and was one of the colony's most powerful beams of light shining out over the sea.
The cost of the whole operation (studies, materials, transportation, manpower, outfitting, supplies, etc.) came to nearly $115,000.
The light
Before 1800, beacons were generally wood or charcoal fires set on headlands. They were therefore useless if it was rainy or foggy, so it became imperative to improve on the systems of the time. The Cap-des-Rosiers lighthouse was able to reap the benefits of the research being done then in Europe on the optical devices as well as on the lighting systems.
A large French polished glass lens was installed, making it possible for the light to be refracted (dioptric system). The Parisian firm Lepaute et Sautter made the lens and the cast iron cupola. The light itself very likely came from several small wick burners placed in the centre of the lens, an arrangement based on the idea of the Argand lamp, perfected in 1780 by Aimé Argand. The burners, fuelled by whale or porpoise oil, were installed facing a certain way, and did not require any further adjustment once they had locked into place.
In the early 20th century, the Argand lamp was replaced by a petrol steam lamp that was used for quite a few years after the village had been electrified in about 1950. Today, the light is electric, but the original optical device is still being used.
Details
HM NumberHM2E9V
Tags
Placed ByCap-des-Rosiers Lighthouse Maritime Historical Site
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, February 12th, 2019 at 10:01am PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)20U E 411855 N 5412157
Decimal Degrees48.85611667, -64.20166667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 48° 51.367', W 64° 12.1'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds48° 51' 22.02" N, 64° 12' 6" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 1325 Boulevard de Cap des Rosiers, Gaspé Québec G4X 6G7, CA
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?