A land grant from the federal government to the state of Mississippi, November 28, 1821, established this cemetery, which is Jackson's oldest landmark. The General Assembly ordered a commission composed of the Governor, Secretary, Auditor and Treasurer of the State to "lay off such quantities of ground adjacent to the town or within the limits of the located grant, as they may deem expedient for the use of religious and charitable institutions and burying ground". This burying ground was called "The Graveyard"; later, "City Cemetery". This historical marker is a memorial to the founders and pioneer builders of the City of Jackson who lie buried in this sacred ground.Father, in thy gracious keeping
Leave we now they servants sleeping.