George Abram Harter served as President of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, from 1896 to 1914. A quiet scholar who enjoyed teaching, he was an administrator respected for his unwavering dedication to the college.
Under his leadership, student enrollment doubled, the fraternity system was established, the first yearbook was published, the first athletics director was hired, the Cooperative Extension Service was begun and Mechanical Hall was constructed. He was also instrumental in helping to establish the Women's College, which opened in 1914.
A gift of benefactor Pierre S. du Pont, Harter Residence Hall was constructed in 1917.