Temple of Carmen and Ex-Convent of the Barefoot Carmelite Religious Order

Temple of Carmen and Ex-Convent of the Barefoot Carmelite Religious Order (HM2FG5)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 22° 9.086', W 100° 58.44'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 34 views
Inscription
 Templo del Carmen y Ex Convento de los Religiosos Carmelitas DescalzosGracias a la generosidad de don Nicolás Fernando de Torres y de su esposa, hacia 1749 se inició la construcción de esta magnífica iglesia barroca. El 15 de octubre de 1764, fue dedicada a San Elías. Cuenta con dos ricas portadas, planta de cruz latina y un camarín al lado norte, cuya cúpula ochavada emula la del crucero. Con la intención de maravillar a los fieles y elevar su espíritu hacia Dios, la fachada presenta escenas del cielo, donde los santos ejemplares de los carmelitas ya gozan de la gloria. En el primer cuerpo, entre columnas salomónicas, están los profetas Elías y Eliseo; en el segundo, flanqueados por estípites, los grandes
reformadores y místicos, Santa Teresa y San Juan de la Cruz. Asoman en los cubos de los apoyos los rostros de doce santos de la orden. La Virgen del Carmen preside el tercer cuerpo. En la parte superior, varios ángeles niños recogen un pétreo cortinaje y descubren la imagen del Padre Eterno. Sobre la cornisa se encuentra San Miguel Arcángel y en el pináculo de la torre, San Eliseo blande su espada de fuego.Brillaban



en el interior los retablos barrocos de madera dorada; finas pinturas los adornaban y cubrían el resto de las paredes de la nave y el coro. Dos de ellos fueron reemplazados, hacia fines del s. XVIII, por novedosos retablos de piedra con estípites, magnífica obra de los canteros potosinos. En el s. XIX, se introdujo el neoclasisismo: Tres Guerras diseño un nuevo altar mayor y fueron sustituidos los retablos, salvo los de San José, Santa Teresa y Nuestra Señora del Carmen. La portada del camarín representa el cielo custodiado por arcángeles y presidido por los cinco señores: Jesús, María, José, Santa Ana y San Joaquín. Tras el incendio de 1957, fue fielmente reproducido el retablo de madera de la Virgen del Carmen. Én las primicias de la lucha insurgente, se encarceló en el convento los sediciosos de la zona. Con la liberación de los presos, el 10 de noviembre 1810, se inició la revuelta en la ciudad. El monasterio fue ocupado más tarde como cuartel y depósito de pólvora. A raíz de la incautación (1859), una parte se dedicó a Palacio de Justicia y otra a cárcel. La huerta dio origen a la Alameda y, en 1889, en el extremo sur-poniente del ex convento se construyó el Teatro de la PazTexto: Historiadora del Arte, Alicia Cordero HerreraDibujos: Ing. Gerardo Guerrero Martínez (Plantas del Convento del Carmen) Arq. Marco Antonio Garfias (Integración



de las Plantas)

English:Temple of Carmen and Ex-Convent of the Barefoot Carmelite Religious OrderGiven the generosity of Nicolás Fernando de Torres and his wife, construction of this splendid Baroque church began around 1749. It was dedicated to Saint Elijah on October 13, 1764. It has two richly adorned facades, a Latin-Cross layout and, on its north side, a small chamber whose chamfered dome imitates that of the transept. In an attempt to inspire awe in the faithful and raise their spirit toward God, the facade was engraved with heavenly scenes in which the Carmelites' 12 exemplary saints are shown in their heavenly glory. Between the first body's columns are the prophets Eleias and Elisha; on the second, flanked by pilasters, stand the
great reform mystics Saint Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. Looking out from the support turrets are the order's 12 saints. The Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel presides over the third body. At the top, childlike angels lift a curtain, unveiling the image of the Everlasting Father. The archangel Michael is posed upon the cornice, and up on the tower's pinnacle Saint Elish brandishes his flaming sword.Inside, the glistening gilded woog Baroque altarpieces were further embellished by finely executed paintings, which also covered the rest of the nave walls and the choir. Toward the end of



the eighteenth century, two of these were replaced by novel pilastered stone ones, an admirable work executed by Potosi masons. Neoclassicism was introduced in the nineteenth century, when Tres Guerras designed a new main altar and the richly adorned paintings were replaced, the exceptions being those dedicated to Saint Joseph, Saint Teresa and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The chamber facade portrays heaven guarded by archangels and presided over by Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Saint Ana and Saint Joachim. At the outbreak of the Independence struggle in September of 1810, local rebels were jailed in the convent. But once released on November 10 they led the revolt in the city. The monastery was later taken over and used as military barracks and a gunpowder depot. Following its seizure by the government in 1859, part of it became the Palace of Justice and another, a jailhouse. Its orchard was turned into a city park, and, in 1889, a theater, "el Teatro de la Paz" was built at the former convent's southwest end.Text: Alicia Cordero Herrera, Art Historian Drawings: Eng. Gerardo Guerrero Martínez (Layout of the Convent of Carmen) Arq. Marco Antonio Garfias (Layout integration)
Details
HM NumberHM2FG5
Tags
Placed ByInstituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH)
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, April 8th, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 296430 N 2450911
Decimal Degrees22.15143333, -100.97400000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 22° 9.086', W 100° 58.44'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds22° 9' 5.16" N, 100° 58' 26.4" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?