This stone house represents one of the earliest stone structures built and owned by free Blacks in Charles Town. It was completed in 1830 by James H. Webb. Located on what was originally known as the "The Old Highway", travelers journeying from Winchester, Virginia to Alexandria, Virginia, had long used the property as a stage stop and a place to rest. They could also quench their thirst by drinking from the property's well- one of the oldest and largest hand dug wells in town.
The property was deeded to Patty Webb, also a free Black on October 25, 1830. The property changed hands several times and was eventually deeded to Sara and Samuel Young on September 16, 1852, who deeded it to Thomas Green on December 21, 1858. Thomas Green deeded it to John Frederick and Emily Blessing on October 11, 1866. The Blessings used the Webb House as a kitchen and referred to it as "The Old Stone Kitchen". It was in this kitchen where John Blessing died on April 8, 1869.