Johnson House Museum. The Johnson House was built in 1852 and its first
owner was Henry J. Traver (1827-1911), owner of
Traver & Company carriage factory across the street.
From 1877 until 1994 the house was the residence
and office of four doctors who maintained their
practices there. The first was Dr. Daniel Cranz (1854-1914)
followed by Dr. Thomas Ritter (1855-1928). In 1900, Dr. Robert
Johnson (1878-1952) purchased the house. His daughter Dr. Myra
Johnson (1909-1994) took over the practice after he died and
until she retired in 1976. After her death, the house was
converted into a museum. It is operated by the Wadsworth
Historical Society and owned by the City of Wadsworth.
Carriage Factory. A carriage manufacturing business was located across
the street from the Johnson House and is believed to
have been established around 1838. Eventually acquired by Henry J. Traver, the business continued
under various names and owners as Traver & Company, Stevenson,
Browning & Steele, Browning & Steele, and R. Stevenson & Company.
The firm's office was the location of Wadsworth's first election on
April 4, 1866, during which Aaron Pardee (1808-1898) was elected the
first mayor In 1875. The carriage maker was thought to employ
approximately 20 people. In the 1890s, it occupied about 7,000 square
of floor space. Automobiles began to replace horse drawn vehicles
early in the 20th century and the carriage business closed in 1915.