In 1877, the governor of Florida instituted a convict leasing program to make money for the state. The program required road crews to be moved and housed. Mule pulled jail wagons provided both secure, though miserable, housing and transport.
The Manly Portable Convict CarThe Car That Has Made Possible the Economical, Safe and Humane Housing of Convicts at Night on Public Road Work.
· Portability 4 to 6 mules pulling the Cages anywhere, on almost any kind of roads, keeping camp close to the work and losing no time in going to and from stockade.
· Absolute Security The Cage not only will pay for itself in a year in the saving of guard hire, but the cost and demoralizing effect of occasional escapes is eliminated.
· Perfect Sanitation The open sides in the summer and the even circulation of heat and forced ventilation in the winter, make the Cage absolutely sanitary the year round.
· Increased Efficiency of the prisoners who, under the very best of conditions, are physically able at all times to do their very best work.
· Comfort to Prisoners who are treated as human beings in clean, sanitary, well ventilated and convenient quarters, cool in summer, warm in winter and always comfortable.
· Comparatively Low Cost On the score of economy
the all steel cage is by far the best solution of the convict problem. It will outlast a dozen tents, is quickly moved from place to place, and is especially suited to counties working one, two or three gangs of men, where it is necessary to keep camp near the work.
"After a thorough investigation of the Steel Convict Cages built by the Manly Jail Works, of Dalton, Ga., we find they fill all requirements as to ventilation, sanitation and security, and give all necessary space for sleeping men in cars." (Signed) The Prison Commission of Georgia.
A Convict Cage that has received the unqualified official endorsement of State and County Prison Boards all over the South.
The health, efficiency and economy of your Convict Camp largely depends on the camp equipment you buy. In the MANLY Cage you get one piece of equipment that has proven itself to be a practical and demonstrated success in over 200 of the best arranged and most economically managed camps in the Southern States.
Manly Jail WorksJail Building and General Prison WorkDalton, Georgia