When early settlers migrated to Southern California in the late 1800s, they saw the future potential of the fertile
valley located twelve miles north of Los Angeles. In 1867, Dr. David Burbank purchased the land, which, in
1911, would become incorporated as the city bearing his name. The area was ideal for farming and ranching,
but it was the arrival of the Southern Pacific Railroad that would foster the community's growth. In 1893,
the Burbank Branch railroad line opened, allowing local farmers to easily transport their crops of melons, citrus,
peaches, grapes, and other fruits and vegetables. The line that ran along Chandler Boulevard remained in service
until 1992 when the Chandler Bikeway was constructed.
Many hard-working and conscientious people were involved in building and maintaining the railroad. The duty
of a trackwalker was to examine the condition of the tracks and to keep them safe for the traveling public. This
trackwalker carries a lantern and tools - his gaze watchful and protective. In honor of this period of Burbank
history, the sculpture uses a section of original railroad track with metal spikes to hold the crossties.