The Coulterville Main Street Historical District includes 25 structures, including this one story building built circa 1860. This building's stone and brick walls survived the 1879 and 1899 fires that destroyed Coulterville.
Using the walls, owners Ralph Jones and Peter Longhurst rebuilt after the 1879 fire. After the 1899 fire, owner Thomas B. McCarthy, again using the original walls, rebuilt the building in use today.
In the 19th century this structure was utilized for a variety of purposes, including a laundry, a general store, barbershop, and cigar store. In 1937 the current building was home to the original Johnny Haigh Saloon and in 2011 it was reopened as the "Old Johnny Haigh Saloon."
After over 150 years the historic walls remain standing.
Dedicated by Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus March 31, 2012 (6017)
Credo Quia Absurdum