c. 1794-1798In October, 1794 the merchant William Harper Sr. purchased the Northern half of town lot No. 3 North from Centreville founder, Elizabeth Nicholson for £55 pound. By 1798 2 Federal brick houses had been built by Harper and rented for commercial ventures. Financial setbacks forced Harper to sell the 2 houses separately to new owners by 1814. In the 1850's George C. Palmer purchased & reunited the properties. In 1887 wealthy Centreville banker and businessman William Mckenney acquired the houses, they were sold by a Mckenney descendent in 1928 to James P. & Estell Rose Keating, who operated the houses as the Blue Lantern Inn a Centreville Landmark until Mrs. Keatins death in 1947. The houses are now a private residence.
|Placed By||The owner of the William Harper, Sr. Houses|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 25th, 2019 at 11:04am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 407773 N 4322188|
|Decimal Degrees||39.04390000, -76.06571667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 2.634', W 76° 3.943'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 2' 38.04" N, 76° 3' 56.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.