Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand Pré

Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand Pré (HM2KI5)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 45° 6.55', W 64° 17.097'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 13 views
Inscription

Plan of Horton Town/ Le Plan De Ville de Horton

 In 1759, the British authorities subdivided Nova Scotia into counties. The County of
Kings was divided into three townships: Cornwallis; Falmouth and Horton.
The Horton Town Plot (or plan), sited on the hills above Horton Landing and the
Gaspereau River, used the standard English rectilinear grid layout of the 18th century.
In 1760, arriving New England Planters each received four parcels of land: a lot in the
Town Plot, cleared upland, dykeland and a woodlot.
The Planters quickly found this scattered land allocation to be inefficient so they sold or
exchanged parcels. Most chose to live near their best land. With no threat of invasion,
many abandoned the Town Plot. Within a short time the settlement pattern of the new
Planters resembled that of the deported Acadians: they lived on the uplands, farmed on
the dykelands and used the woodlots for building materials.
By 1817, Governor of Nova Scotia Lord Dalhousie noted: "There is no Town of Horton;
it is a scattered settlement of neat common houses, small farmers, but rich in their way of life."
Although certain roads have been abandoned, the original street pattern of the Horton
Town Plot survives today.


En 1759, les autorités britanniques ont subdivisé la Nouvelle-Écosse en comtés. Le
comté de Kings a alors été scindé en trois cantons : Cornwallis, Falmouth et Horton.
Horton s'étend sur les hauteurs surplombant Horton Landing et la rivière Gaspereau.
Son plan de ville a été conçu en damier, selon le tracé rectiligne anglais couramment
utilisé au XVIIIe siècle. En 1760, chaque Planter (planteur) arrivant de la
Nouvelle-Angleterre obtenait quatre parcelles : une dans le plan de ville aménagée, une
défrichée sur les hauteurs, une consistant en un marais agricole et une boisée.
Les Planters se sont vite rendu compte que cette attribution de parcelles éparpillées était
inefficace, et ils ont donc décidé d'en vendre ou d'en échanger. La plupart ont choisi de
s'établir près de leurs meilleures terres. Comme la menace d'invasion était nulle, bon
nombre ont abandonné les parcelles allouées dans le plan de ville. En peu de temps, le
modèle d'établissement des nouveaux Planters devint similaire à celui des Acadiens déportés - vivant sur les hauteurs, cultivant les marais endigués et trouvant leurs
matériaux de construction dans les boisés.
En 1817, lord Dalhousie, gouverneur de la Nouvelle-Écosse, déclara : « Il n'y a pas de
ville de Horton, mais plutôt un établissement où se trouvent ici et là des maisons
communes et proprettes qu'habitent des fermiers qui, bien que modestes,
ont un mode de vie des plus riches.»
Malgré l'abandon de certaines routes, le tracé original des
rues du plan de ville de Horton existe toujours.
Right Inset:
The Landscape of Grand Pré is an exceptional living
agricultural landscape, claimed from the sea in the
17th century and still in use today applying the
same technology and the same community-based
management. Grand Pré is also the iconic place of
remembrance of the Acadians, who lived in harmony with the native Mi'kmaq people before
the Expulsion in 1755.
Visit and learn about the Landscape at the points
of interest identified on the pedestrian map.

Avec ses terres conquises de la mer dès le
XVIIS siècle le Paysage de Grand-Pré témoigne
de maniè exceptionnelle d'un établissement
agricole olutif et encore actif grâce aux méthodes
et au eme communautaire de gestion qui l'ont
toujo caractérisé. Grand-Pré est aussi un lieu
emblématique qui honore le souvenir des Acadiens
qui y vivaient en harmonie avec les Mi'kmaqs
avant la Déportation en 1755-
Visitez le Paysage de Grand-Pré et découvrez-en les
points d'intérêt indiqués sur la carte au circuit
piétonnier.
Bottom Inset:
Excerpt of one block from the 1760 Plan of Horton Town by
Charles Morris. The Plan indicates the Planters' family names
and their allocated lots. Many of the family
remain in the area today

Extrait d'un bloc du plan de 1760 de Horton Town par Charles Morris. Le plan indique les nom de famille de chaque Planter et leurs lots attribues. Bon nombre des noms de famille figurant
dans le plan aont courants dans la région de non jours.
Details
HM NumberHM2KI5
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, September 7th, 2019 at 2:02pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)20T E 398918 N 4995880
Decimal Degrees45.10916667, -64.28495000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 45° 6.55', W 64° 17.097'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds45° 6' 33" N, 64° 17' 5.8200000000001" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?