Founder of Hanover
In 1745, Richard McAllister purchased 217 acres from John Digges, establishing the original town of Hanover. Hanover is situated at the crossroads of two major colonial highways - the Monocacy Trail from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to Frederick, Maryland, and The Great Road from Baltimore to Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
Known variously as Hickory Town after heavy tree growth or McAllister's Town, Hanover became the adopted name to please the predominantly local German inhabitants. By 1763, McAllister had subdivided the town into 155 building lots with a two-acre center square. McAllister operated a mill north of York Springs, had an interest in local iron making, and operated a general store on Center Square.
At the time of McAllister's death in 1795, Hanover's population numbered 500. During his lifetime Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and George and Martha Washington traveled through Hanover. The restored Neas House at 113 West Chestnut Street dates from this colonial period.