The village of St. Louis is one of the first African American townshipsin Loudoun County. Land was purchased by freed slaves following the Civil War. Among the families that purchased lots were the McQuays.One of their family members moved to St. Louis, Mo., and lived for many years. Upon his return, he was nicknamed "Little St. Louis."The name was soon applied to the family settlement.
The earliest public building was the St. Louis school, built before 1877and is still standing. Rev. M. B. Stother built the Mt. Zion Baptist Church in 1893.It was rebuilt in 1929 and still stands.The village annually hosted the St. Louis Colt Show from 1898 to the 1930s.A general store was built in 1909.A six room school was built in 1948, and named after Benjamin Banneker,a famous African American scientist, inventor, surveyor & anti slavery publicist.