For more than ninety years, this area was the heart and soul of Berea's sandstone quarries. In the early 1830s, John Baldwin discovered that the area's sandstone deposits made superb grindstones and building stones. in the 1840s, thriving sandstone quarries developed and became Berea's lifeblood. Searching for the "American Dream," German, Irish, Italian, Hungarian, and Polish immigrants, among others came here to work. The quarries eventually encompassed nearly 250 acres and consumed the fashionable houses of Berea's "South Side" and the buildings of Baldwin University. The Cuyahoga County Court House, Ohio's Capitol, and Canada's parliament buildings are among many structures in North America and Europe constructed of Berea sandstone. Decreasing demand for sandstone and the Great Depression closed the last of Berea's quarries in the mid-1903's.