This Episcopal Parish was established by Act of the Assembly June 7, 1712. The first known rector, William Guy, conducted early worship services in homes of settlers. The parish suffered greatly during the 1715 Yemassee Indian attack; constructed the present building in 1724 (enlarged 1817 & 1842); and was given communion silver in 1734 by John Bull, a captain in the militia. According to local tradition, the
church was used by British to stable horses during the Revolution and as a hospital in the Civil War. In 1823 Dr. Joseph R. Walker became rector, serving 55 years, during which time at least 25 parishioners entered the ministry. Among those buried in the churchyard are 2 British officers, 3 American generals, and 17 ministers of the gospel. The 1962 parish house serves the community for various functions.