California's first state fair was held on this site on October 4, 1854. Sponsored by the California State Agricultural Society, the exhibition of "horses, cattle, mules and other stock, and agricultural, mechanical and domestic manufacture and productions" promoted the new state's growing agricultural industry. A different city held the fair each year, until Sacramento became the permanent location in 1861.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 861.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West, August 18, 1973.