Inhabited for some 10,000 years,Pinckney Island was known asEspalanga, Look-out, and Mackey'sprior to about 1775. AlexanderMackey received two Proprietarygrants for land on the islandin 1710. Charles Pinckney later owned the island and willed it in 1769to his son, Charles Cotesworth, who became a successful planter here.
James Bruce, former militaryaide to President WoodrowWilson, purchased this islandfrom the Pinckneys in 1937 anddeveloped it into a small~gamehunting preserve. In 1975Margaret and James Barker andEdward Starr, Jr. donated the island to the United States fora wildlife refuge and a nature and forest preserve.