Artillery Battalion, A.P. Hill's Division,
Major R.L. Walker, Commanding,
(September 17, 1862.)
Four batteries of this battalion were engaged. McIntosh's (South Carolina) Battery came on the field about 2:30 p.m. and went into position south of the Blackford House about 950 yards southwest of this. After firing a few rounds the battery moved to a position 400 yards north of this, 100 yards east of the road, and opened fire upon the Union artillery and infantry; the men were driven from their guns by the advance of Rodman's Division, Ninth Corps, but returned when the brigades of Toombs and Archer had recovered their guns. Pegram's (Virginia) Battery followed McIntosh's to the field and occupied this spot; one gun was advanced about 580 yards down the ravine in the direction of Snavely's Ford but was quickly driven back. Braxton's (Virginia) Battery was on the hill 270 yards south of this and 130 yards east of the Harper's Ferry road. Crenshaw's (Virginia) Battery, the last of the battalion to arrive on the field from Harper's Ferry, went into position on Braxton's right, between it and Snavely's Lane. The four batteries were actively engaged on the afternoon of the 17th, and remained in position until the Confederate Army retired from the field.
Comments 0 comments