Fairfax, chartered in 1893 andincorporated in 1896, grew out of an early community centered aroundOwens' Crossroads, where a store was established in 1814, and laterincluding Bethlehem Baptist Church( now First Baptist Church ), foundedin 1852. When Port Royal RR was completed through this area in 1873a depot and post office were built 1½ mi. E and named Cambellton
By 1881 W.J. and J.F. Sanders ran astore and post office ½ mi. fromthe original Owens' Crossroads, andthe area was soon calles Sanders.After the South Bound RR completedits line through this area in 1891, it crossed the previous railroad line. The crossing became the centerof Fairfax, named when a local childdrew that name from a hat belongingto a railroad official.