—— .5 mi. →About .5 miles East on this Road is the site of Old Ebenezer, the first settlement of the Salzburgers in Georgia. They selected this location and named it Ebenezer — the stone of help. General Oglethorpe marked out their town, and soon they erected homes and some public buildings. The settlers remained at this site two years, despite many hardships, including the difficulty in navigation of the stream upon which their town was situated. In February, 1736, the Salzburgers, now 200 in number, asked for and received permission to abandon this site and move to a more desirable location, one now known as New Ebenezer.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 3:54am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 474806 N 3578847|
|Decimal Degrees||32.34625000, -81.26773333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 20.775', W 81° 16.064'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 20' 46.50" N, 81° 16' 3.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1453-1625 GA-21, Springfield GA 31329, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.