At dawn on April 13, 1777 Hessian Captain Ewald's assault over the stone bridge across the Bound Brook was pinned down by "murderous fire" from American soldiers stationed in the Half Moon Battery.
Advancing North along present day Easton Avenue, a column of approximately 1,000 troops and artillery, under command of Hessian Colonel Donop, pushed aside American outposts and arrived at this point 15 minutes after Ewald's attack had faltered.
Advancing over the Queen's Bridge, Donop's troops engaged the Americans, forcing them to withdraw from the battery. With the American withdrawal, Donop's, Ewald's and British General Grant's troops advanced and fought through the streets of Bound Brook.
After the battle, the combined British/Hessian army of approximately 4,000 men returned to their bases around New Brunswick via River Road and this route, looting many homesteads along the way.
Comments 0 comments