400 yds. S.E., at the big spring, is the brick residence known as the Austin House. May 7, 1864 The Federal forces, having seized Tunnel Hill their first movement in the campaign for Atlanta Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman had headquarters at the Austin House until May 12. While here, Sherman learned that McPherson's forces had failed to cut the R.R. at Resaca, after seizing Snake Creek Gap May 9, where upon the attempts at Rocky Face, Crow Valley and Mill Creek Gap, were dropped and all federal units but the 4th A.C., Stoneman's and McCook's cav., were shifted May 12, to the Resaca front via Villanow and Snake Creek Gap.
Comments 0 comments