This Georgian country seat was built by Colonel Roger Morris in 1765. Colonel Morris, a Loyalist, left the house when he returned to England at the outbreak of the American Revolutionary War. From September 14 through October 18, 1776, the house was used as General George Washington's headquarters during the Battle of Harlem Heights. Stephen Jumel, a wealthy Frenchman, purchased it in 1810, and after his death in 1832, Madame Jumel became the wife of Aaron Burr. In 1903, the City of New York bought the mansion for restoration by the Washington Headquarters Association. It is now a museum.
Comments 0 comments