Among the oldest churches in Culpeper, Antioch Baptist Church originated in the 1850's. Separated from the Mount Pony Baptist Church, Antioch was first called "The African Church," organized in 1859. The first congregation, also referred to as free worshippers, met at a Confederate barracks located near the railroad station. According to Church records, the Antioch Baptist Church was founded in 1865, and under the direction of Reverend Harrison Blair, Henry Lightfoot, Alexander Hart and Alexandria Jackson, the Church was relocated to a lot near Locust Street. The Locust Street Church was destroyed by fire around 1873. The Trustees then relocated to a brick warehouse building near the railroad station until 1886. The fourth and final move, to this site occurred in 1886 and the current sanctuary was constructed.
Historic Antioch Baptist Church has enjoyed a long history in Culpeper and continues to serve the community. This Church is a place of spiritual and social life and serves as a monument of religious freedom.
Antioch Baptist Church is located in the Town of Culpeper's National Register District and the Virginia Landmarks Register and is a significant landmark within the Town's Historic District.
Antioch's Growth can be attributed to the following pastors:
Harrison Blair - William E. Barrett
Welsh Blair - Robert C. Davis
Samuel Toliver - Howard Anderson
Willis J. Madden - Ulysses Martin
Isadore Richards - Milton L. Branch, Sr.