A Brief History
· Around 1863 a steel truss was constructed across the Olentangy River at King Avenue. It was the first roadway to be extended across the Olentangy River.
· Although the great flood of 1913 destroyed or damaged numerous bridges, businesses and houses along the Olentangy and Scioto Rivers, the old steel truss at King Avenue crossing had already been demolished and the construction of the cast-in-place arch had begun. The 1913 flood destroyed the false work for the arches before the arch concrete was poured. Subsequently, a fourth arch span was added to the east end of the bridge. The reinforced concrete arch bridge at King Avenue was one of the first bridges of its kind in the State of Ohio.
· The design for the 1912 bridge was influenced by three primary criteria. The new bridge had to support 50 ton Trolley cars; resist the worst possible flooding and comply with the 1908 master plan proposal, which grew out of the City Beautiful movement and served as a model for many of the bridges near the City Civic Center.
· The 1912 King Avenue Bridge was designed by Wilber Watson and was a four span, earth filled, reinforced concrete, barrel vaulted, elliptical arch. The Contractor was E. Elford and Company.
The King Avenue Bridge 1999
The King Avenue Bridge, completed November 26, 1999, is the first precast-post-tensioned, field spliced, segmented arch bridge with an integral post-tensioned, high performance concrete deck.
Franklin County Commissioners:
Dorothy S. Teater · Arlene Shoemaker · Dewey R. Stokes
County Engineer: John Circle P.E., P.S.
Chief Deputy Engineer: Dean C. Ringle P.E., P.S.
Deputy Engineer-Bridges: Mark D. Sherman P.E.
Consulting Engineer: Eriksson Engineering Ltd. Inc. in association with HNTB Engineers and Architects
Contractor: C.J. Mahan Construction Co.