WESLEY CHAPEL TRINITY
In 1812 The Methodist Church in Savannah was formally established with the founding of Wesley Chapel at Lincoln & Oglethorpe Streets. Bishop Francis Asbury dedicated that building in 1813. In 1848 the congregation built a new church on Telfair Square. Since the Methodist Centennial of 1884, Trinity has been recognized as "The Mother Church of Savannah Methodism." In 1995, the General Commission on Archives and History expanded the National Historic Landmark to include Wesley Chapel/Trinity, thereby celebrating the permanent return of the Wesleyan Spirit to "John Wesley's American Parish."
JOHN WESLEY'S AMERICAN PARISH
John Wesley, an Anglican minister, served as the religious leader of the Georgia colony from February 6, 1736 to December 2, 1737. His inclusive ministry sought to embrace both Native Americans and colonists. In 1976, The United Methodist Church declared this, the site of their founder's American ministry, a National Historic Landmark encompassing
1. His new world landing site at Cockspur Island on U.S. 80 E.
2. The site of his first sermon at Bull St. and Bay Lane.
3. The Wesley monument on Reynolds Square.
4. Site of his parsonage and garden at Congress and Abercorn.
5. Site of Wesley's first permanent worship place at York & Whitaker.
6. And in 1995, Trinity Church on Telfair Square, "The Mother Church of Savannah Methodism."