— H.A. van den Eijnde, sculptor, 1926 —This monumental flagstaff commemorates the Dutch establishment of New Amsterdam and the seventeenth century European settlement that launched the modern metropolis of New York City. Designed by Dutch sculptor H.A. van den Eijnde (1869-1939), the monument was dedicated in 1926 to mark the tercentenary of Dutch occupation, and the purchase of the island of Manhattan from Native Americans. On the north and south faces of the granite pedestal are carved a plan of New Amsterdam and its fort, as well as the transaction between the Dutch and the Lenape natives, and above them are bronze emblems symbolizing Dutch settlement. The flagstaff was unveiled on Saint Nicholas Day, December 6, 1926 south of Castle Clinton, then the site of the New York Aquarium. When the park was closed from 1940 to 1952 for renovations and to build the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, the monument was relocated to its present site at the northeast entrance.
|Series||This marker is part of the More Than Words series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 1:42am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 583233 N 4506406|
|Decimal Degrees||40.70436667, -74.01471667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 42.262', W 74° 0.883'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 42' 15.72" N, 74° 0' 52.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||212, 917, 646, 516, 347,|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1-3 Battery Pl, New York NY 10004, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.