Alexandria, Virginia May 1885. On this site stood Captain Joseph Pugmire and three lassies who conducted the first Salvation Army services in Alexandria. Later, the Salvation Army was located at 319 and 316 King Street from 1922 to 1965, when it moved to its present facility at 1804 Mount Vernon Avenue. This plaque was dedicated on Sunday, May 19, 1985 by General Jarl Wahlstrum, International Leader; Major Charles E. Beatley, City of Alexandria; Commissioner Andrew S. Miller, Territorial Commander; Major Fred Ruth, Divisional Commander; Major James Hipps, Commanding Officer; Mr. John Kloch, Advisory Board Chairman. "God is with us."