"...burning cartridges like shooting stars"Dunlop Station on the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad was located here on the southern boundary of David Dunlop's Ellerslie estate. During the siege of Petersburg, June 1864-April 1865, a military rail spur was completed in March 1865 that extended southwest from here to a Confederate quartermaster depot at Ettrick, making this an important railroad junction. It enabled trains to avoid Federal shelling of the main rail line from Dunlop Station to Petersburg, two miles south. Passenger trains stopped here so the occupants could walk to Petersburg on the safer Richmond Turnpike, located several hundred yards west, but some travelers walked along the tracks regardless. On June 30, 1864, Confederate President Jefferson Davis disembarked here and then proceeded to Gen. Robert E. Lee's headquarters at Violet Bank, two miles south.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 10:57am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 286729 N 4127344|
|Decimal Degrees||37.26826667, -77.40523333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 16.096', W 77° 24.314'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 16' 5.76" N, 77° 24' 18.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 501-507 Old Town Dr, Colonial Heights VA 23834, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.