This structure once housed the Anderson County Airport's Weather Reporting Station. Located across the street where the Civic Center is now and constructed in 1931 at a cost between $5500 and $6000, this building was designed to provide shelter for the weather recording instruments and the technicians using them. There were also rooms for traveling aviators who needed a brief respite. As the county grew, so did the use of the airfield. When the county built the new airfield at its current location on Highway 24, this building was moved to the other side of the old airfield to an area near the old county stockade and used as offices for the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. It was later moved across the street to an area behind the Old County Home and used again for offices. "Celebrating 100 Years of Lighting the Way"
Since that time, the building has been moved to its current site and renovated. It now serves as the Anderson County Recycling Education Center, a very appropriate use since it provides a constant reminder that buildings, as well as plastic, aluminum, glass, and newspaper, can be recycled and reused. Because the structure has the appearance of an old-fashioned farmhouse, it will be known as The New County Farm, a place where new ideas can be planted and nurtured.
Comments 0 comments