Taylors Creek Methodist Church was organized in 1807, by the Rev. Angus McDonald, with seven members, including James Darsey, Mrs. James Darsey, and Robert Hendry. A village soon grew up around the church, and was for many years a trading center for the surrounding area. In the cemetery adjoining the site of the church are the graves of the families of Bird, Daniels, Martin, Hendry and others who were part of the Taylors Creek community and whose names have been prominent in the history of Georgia.
The Taylors Creek Methodist Church edifice built here in 1841, was in use for 101 years, until in 1942 the site was taken over by the United States Government to become a part of the Fort Stewart area.