William H. Grant, a prominent Richmond tobacconist, built this mansion by 1856 on property acquired from John Wickham's estate. The house, an early example in Richmond of the Italianate style, reflected the wealth and sophistication of late antebellum society. In 1892, after years of mixed use, it was acquired by Sheltering Arms Hospital, founded in 1889 as a "haven of mercy" for impoverished Virginians. The building underwent alterations, including the construction of a connecting wing westward to the Leigh House, before the hospital moved to new quarters in 1965. The Grant House is currently owned by Virginia Commonwealth University.
Comments 0 comments